Monday, January 21, 2013

Opposites


Winter Reflections
8x8 oil on canvas


Ice and Water
8x10 oil on canvas

Quite a day!  Inauguration of our 44th President and Martin Luther King Day and Volunteer Day.  I watched the whole inauguration event which included a tribute to Dr. King while my daughter and her husband planted bushes on conservation land in Santa Barbara. Good job!  Of course Arlington played a key roll in our history so I'm honored to live here near where it all began in Concord.
Here in Arlington it was cold, overcast and we're waiting for snow--or at least I am.  Spy Pond is open but Hill Pond is frozen.  The first painting is of a cove visible from the Route 2 path and the view was captivating.  The water was still and reflections were pure.  The second was a week before when the ice was just going out.  A couple of girls were exploring the rocks and I thought that the figure in red made a nice focus for this gray day.  The green lichen on the rocks came out too bright in the photo and I'll have to work on color correction or improving my photos.  

4 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! I love the second one with the splash of red. What a fun project to work on, I look forward to updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see the many moods of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Karen! Your compositions are always spot on.

    ReplyDelete